Recipe submitted by DaVita dietitian Bonnie from Texas.
Serving size: 1 cup
▪ 1/3 cup lemonade base or sugarfree lemon base
▪ 1/2 cup strawberries, fresh or unsweetened frozen
▪ 1 tablespoon sugar or Splenda® granular no calorie sweetener
▪ 1/2 cup ice cubes
1 In a blender combine strawberries, lemonade base, and 1 tablespoon sugar or Splenda®. Blend until smooth.
2 With blender running, add 1/2 cup ice cubes, one at a time, through opening in lid until the beverage is slushy.
3 Sip slowly to enjoy.
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
▪ 1 fruit, medium potassium
▪ 1 high calorie
▪ The low sugar version made with sugarfree lemonade base and Splenda has 50 calories and 13 g carbohydrate. Count as 1 low potassium fruit and one carbohydrate choice.