Serving size: 3 ounces base plus 3 ounces water
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups sugar or Splenda® sugar substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon or lime peel
- 1-1/4 cups fresh lemon or lime juice
- ice cubes
- In a medium saucepan, stir water and sugar or sugar substitute over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; cool 20 minutes.
- Add citrus peel and juice to sugar mixture. Pour into a jar or pitcher; cover and chill. Keeps for up to 3 days.
- For each glass of lemonade or limeade, combine 3 ounces base and 3 ounces water in ice-filled glasses. Stir and sip slowly to enjoy. Freeze leftover base in ice cube trays and add to beverages instead of ice.
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 1 high calorie
- 3 ounces liquid is 6 tablespoons.
- Base made with Splenda® instead of sugar has 20 calories and 5 grams carbohydrate. Count as 1/2 carbohydrate choice.