The cold weather has finally arrived in South Florida! Enjoy the cold while it lasts with this kidney-healthy recipe that we love. This beef and barley stew recipe is great for those with CKD non-dialysis, as well as those with diabetes, on or off dialysis. For those on a CKD non-dialysis diet, lower the protein in this recipe by cutting the beef amount down to 8 ounces. The protein will then be about 14 grams per serving. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 ¼ cups
- 1 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 pound lean beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 large stalk celery
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon onion herb seasoning
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 246
- Protein 22 g
- Carbohydrates 21 g
- Fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 51 mg
- Sodium 222 mg
- Potassium 369 mg
- Phosphorus 175 mg
- Calcium 30 mg
- Fiber 6.3 g
- Soak the barley in 2 cups of water for one hour.
- Dice celery and onion; mince garlic clove; slice carrots 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut beef into 1-1/2 inch cubes.
- Put flour, black pepper and stew meat in a plastic bag. Shake to dust stew meat with flour.
- Warm the oil in a heavy 4-quart pot and brown the stew meat. Remove meat from pot. Sauté and stir onion, celery and garlic in meat drippings for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Return meat to the pot. Add bay leaves and salt. reduce heat to a simmer.
- Drain and rinse barley, then add to the pot. Cover and cook for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.
- After 1 hour add sliced carrots and herb seasoning. Simmer for another hour. Add additional water if needed to prevent sticking.